Lotus Domino 8.0.1 Server Enhancements
by Darren Duke & Terri Conroy
The following are some of the things we’ve noticed after implementing Lotus Notes and Domino 8.0.1:
LOTUS NOTES : STS is currently running Notes 8.0.1 clients in the office and our users are very happy with it. 8.0.1 is noticeably faster than 8.0.0. It also seems more stable. Widgets are very handy for hanging views off the side bar.
LOTUS DOMINO : STS is running Domino 8.0.1 on eight of our 11 servers. The only issues we've seen were around Directory Assistance after the 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 upgrade, but we were able to resolve those issues. Now that Quickr 8.1 and Sametime 8.0 are available all of our servers will be moved to 8.0.x in the near future.
LDAP / ActiveDirectory : R8 contains a limited license for Tivoli Directory Integrator (TDI) that can be used to synchronize Domino to LDAP or ActiveDirectory to provide single sign-on. Not all LDAP containers are supported. TDI also needs to be setup and configured. The old "W2000 Sync" is also still an option from R6 and R7.
CUSTOM APPLICATIONS: 8.0.0 provided complete backwards compatibility with the exception of one area: COM objects were not supported. We are glad to announce that COM makes a come back in 8.0.1.
You can visit IBM’s site for an outline of enhancements in 8.0 server at http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21268140.
New features of Lotus Notes and Domino 8.0.1:
- Deployment enhancements to Lotus Domino that enable administrators to free up time and focus on other areas
- A new mode for Lotus Domino Web Access optimized for bandwidth. It addresses the needs of users who are traveling or are constrained with dial-up connections It is worth pointing out that this is, for all practical purposes, useless in the real world as it will constantly switch you back to "non-lite" mode of several operations on the calendar. Hopefully this will be more useful in 8.0.2
- Linked to other components of the Lotus portfolio including integration with IBM Lotus Quickr (8.1), IBM Lotus Connections, increased support for IBM Lotus Sametime® 8.0 (includes Lotus Sametime Unyte)
- Greater extensibility through Lotus Notes Widgets
- Support for Citrix Presentation Server 4.5
- Database compression, which significantly reduces the storage size of Domino databases. Internal to STS we have found an average of 23% physical file reduction on Windows servers covering all databases types
- Domino 64-bit native support option for Microsoft® Windows 2003 and IBM AIX® platforms. 64 bit support enables Domino to address more memory on the server than is possible in previous versions. Essentially this equates to more users for the same hardware
- Support for FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) 140-2 standards encryption for Lotus Notes e-mail
- New mobile access options for users of Lotus Notes and Domino 8.0.1. Eligible users may request entitlement to download a new wireless e-mail option, called Lotus Notes Traveler, which provides real-time synchronization of Lotus Domino e-mail and PIM data on a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 mobile device (smart phone or Pocket PC). Note, Traveler will create internet site documents for SMTP if you have not. If your email stops routing that maybe why.
Learn how Domino 8.0.1 can empower you organization by contacting us today.